Chinese medicine is one of the oldest systems of medicine in the world and had a long history of safe use in the East and more recently in the western world. Chinese herbalism is just one aspect of the wider practice of Chinese medicine, which also includes the practice of Acupuncture.
The professional medical herbalist using tradition of Chinese herbalism can treat a range of acute and chronic disorders. The following are just some of the conditions commonly treated in the Chinese herbal clinic:
• Chronic fatigue and low energy
• Gastro-intestinal disorders, including irritable bowel syndrome, chronic constipation, ulcerative colitis
• Gynaecological including menstrual, fertility, menopausal
• Respiratory Disorders including asthma, bronchitis
• Rhinitis and Sinusitis
• Skin disorders, including acne, eczema
• Male disorders including impotence
• Rheumatological conditions (e.g. osteoarthritis andrheumatoid arthritis)
• Psychological problems (e.g. depression, anxiety, stress)
• Paeditric disorders,
• Urinary and renal conditions including chronic cystitis,nephritis
The herbalist will have a face to face consultation with the patient. Details of the presenting condition, medical, family, medication history will be discussed so that a holistic assessment of the patient can be carried out.
A prescription of herbs will be formulated for the patient to treat the condition and the patient. The herbalist will adjust the dosage according to the patient.
All herbal produces used comply with international best practice and the codes of ethics and practice of this association.
Herbs can be prescribed in their original form then boiled to make a tea or in more modern forms such as freeze dried granules, powders or tablets.